Tuesday, June 05, 2007

from old mexico to new mexico

well I have been givin my first life curve ball. I guess it is my dad who is really swinging. I am just a first base coach at best. for those who don't know my dad is in the hospital here in santa fe nm. he has been in icu for 13 and a half days and now has been moved to pcu, and has had a tough time. his colon ruptured and he had to have emergency surgery. his highest white cell count so far has been 41, normal is 10 to 12. right now he is at 25 to 31 depend on the fevers he is having. I got to see the wound today and it is in the shape of south america but reversed. I had gotten used to the way he acted with all of the drugs he has been on, but today he was coming down from a 103 fever and was in a state of delirium. he has always been proper and and aware of his surroundings in the past and today he was jerking around and in a state in between dream and awake, acting out his dreams, very unsettling. in the past he had said funny stuff like there was a radio in the air vent that was keeping him up at night, and he asked mom if we killed the yellow bird on the fence outside.
mom is doing good she has her weak moments as do I but not as bad as before I got to see him and talk with him. pooh is my rock I really lucked up with her in my life she always can read my mental state and gets me through the hard times. pooh got to see him for the first time today. he had stated that he didn't want to see her because of all of the bugs in the hospital might hurt her and the baby. but now that he was in a new room he said it was ok (no bugs in this room he told me). on a side note....
pooh is ok ,I am scared sometimes because she has a hair grumpy trigger that puts my life in danger. she is good though other than the nausea and getting tired quickly. sooo cute dangit!
dad is going for his 5th ct scan today to look for pockets of infection and drain them when they find them. I just want him sewn up. having that big of a wound really is scary to me. it is probably 10 inches wide and from his breast bone to his waist line.
2 steps forward one back is the saying, I know. thanks to everyone in athens (team leggett, lauren, and big creeses)looking after the house and pets and to my other parents (the w's) for letting me have pooh out here and keeping our children safe and over treated (dog cookies). and thank god that I have a job were they let me be with my mom and dad out here and not worry about getting fired or getting in trouble, they are my family too and I am thankful for them as well.
I am ready for dad to be well and to be at home. we miss home. we got to smell georgia air (in the airport) for around 4 hours and came out here. we had a around an 18 hour travel day that day from mexico to santa fe. we got a jeep liberty with one of those gps tom tom thingys (really cool haven't gotten lost yet)(also it is a garmin where2) they are really good on gas too. gas here is $3.47 fyi.
I know I am having a lotus knits blog entry so I will end it here. thanks for all of the kind words and prayers.

3 comments:

amateur genius said...

herschel-

i'm so sorry to hear about your dad. everything will be good though - you've got everyone thinking about you. say hi to april. sorry i won't be able to see you before i go to cali :-(

Gina said...

Thanks so much for posting this update about your Dad! Team Soy shares all the information we get as your phone calls come in, but we know there is only one of you and many of us. Hang in there!

Carrie said...

Lauren told me about your pops and I hope you know we are all thinking of you. I know this is tough and let me know if you need anything at all...love you guys!